Schools in the UK have a no-nut policy, so are not able to take nuts with us on the French trip. The posts this week are scheduled ones I wrote last week, as our day today began before 5am, and I am not sure how much time I have to blog about food whilst we’re away! I understand why the no-nuts policy exists but it’s a shame for Aars, as nuts are full of great fats for his body. However it has motivated me to make my first ever (probably only) nut-free granola. Seems very strange to me as nuts are my favourite ingredients in granola. However I love granola when travelling – goes with so much and is great on it’s own!
I decided to spice mine up with cinnamon and ginger 🙂 I also included lemon in the mix so the granola has a sharp tang and muscovado to add some rich deep luxury. Because this granola has been made for the French trip I have not made huge quantities like I normally do. This recipe is more than enough for a week away for two.
The granola is of course gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free, sesame-seed free and soya-free. It is packed full of other super seeds which are really filling and great for us too!
Nut-free Granola (gluten-free) – Ingredient List
gluten-free oats, gluten-free plain flour, desiccated coconut, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut oil, honey, ground ginger, ground cinnamon mixed spices, muscovado sugar, crystalline ginger
Gorgeous Gluten-free Granola – The Process (makes 2 baking trays worth!)
- Preheat your oven to 160º C (fan)
- Prep two baking trays with greaseproof paper
- Mix the following dry ingredients in a bowl:
- 1¾ C gluten-free oats
- 2 Tbs gluten-free flour (any you prefer)
- ½ C desiccated coconut
- ¾ C pumpkin seeds
- ¼ C chia seeds
- ¼ C flax seeds
- In a heavy based pan add the following:
- juice of half a lemon (minus pips)
- 1½ Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs honey
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 Tbs (heaped) muscovado sugar
- Heat slowly over a low flame until all of the ingredients have melted and combined
- Take off heat immediately
- Now pour all the dry ingredients into the melted liquid
- Stir in to ensure everything is coated with the liquid ingredients
- Dump out onto your two waiting baking trays
- Spread it all out as much as poss over the tray surface so there is minimal overlap
- Pop into the oven for 10 mins (use your sense of smell to ensure nothing gets over cooked)
- After 10 mins mix the granola up as the edges and top will be going golden
- Pop back into the oven for another 8 mins (swapping the trays over in oven position)
- When the 8 mins are up give them a mix again – and pop back in for another 5 mins
- Don’t let it burn!!
- Once you get it out allow the granola to cool on baking trays
- You can now add in any yummy fruit – e.g. raisins and sultanas – for this granola I add in the following:
- ½ C crystalline ginger (they are pretty powerful)
- Using the greaseproof sheets pour your Gorgeous Gluten-Free Granola into a waiting air-tight container
Enjoy, and be proud of yourself for creating your own incredibly healthy gorgeous granola. Let me know how you like to adapt your Granola to make it 100% yours!