It’s the holidays YAY! Sadly Aars is still a little under-the-weather, post passing out on Monday. The holiday projects are on hold and we’re relaxing for a few cosy days. This entails sleeping in, big brunches, snuggling up and watching funny films; of course these films MUST be accompanied by popcorn. This is Aars fave flavour – sweet with a kick of chilli. It’s super easy to make and the bonus is I love it too 🙂
I want to have a go at sweet & salty soon – but for now have to acquiesce and add chilli to the mix. We use a little electric corn popper by Fine Elements, Aars has been using it to pop his own corn since he was 5, there’s no oil involved so it’s very safe for small hands.
Hot Sweet (slightly sticky) Popcorn – Ingredients
white cat corn kernels, dark muscovado sugar, water, sunflower spread, ground cayenne pepper, ground paprika, salt
Hot Sweet (slightly sticky) Popcorn – Process
- Pop about 90g white cat corn kernels
- Place your popped corn into a big mixing bowl
- In a pan add:
- ¹⁄3 C dark muscovado sugar
- 2 Tbs cold water
- Stir to dissolve the muscovado sugar
- Place the pan over a low flame and heat up slowly DO NOT STIR AT ALL!
- Once it starts to boil ensure it’s on the lowest flame possible & leave to reduce for 15 mins (I find the bubbles pretty mesmerising)
- After 15 mins take off heat and add:
- 1 Tbsp (slighty stingy one) sunflower spread
- ¹⁄8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ¹⁄8 tsp ground smoked paprika
- grind of salt
- Now you can stir that lot in until its all melted and combined
- Drizzle your sticky spiced treacle over your popcorn
- Stir so that every piece is covered
- Then lay it all out on a sheet of baking paper to cool
Should be ready to scoff after about half an hour.
Enjoy your children being home and a fun family film.