It’s Autumn; leaves are transforming into falling flames, the rain is pouring and I want my home full of warm cosiness & yum – this gorgeous gluten-free granola is just the ticket! It fills the house with delicious toasty fragrance and when it’s baked we enjoy its fabulous crunch.
I love making granola; it’s so easy and I get to choose exactly what I want in it – no compromise! This is my basic gluten-free-and-a-few-seeds-version of granola. Granola is a gorgeous autumnal & winter brekkie; I love it on warm stewed apple, like an impromptu apple crumble for breakfast – it can only be a winner 🙂
This one is seed and nut heavy as Aars now has sesame seeds and peanuts in his diet (thanks to successful challenge days at the hospital) so we need to enjoy them! You can adapt the recipe to suit your families dietary needs; go for dried fruits and seeds if you cannot eat nuts… I have used gluten-free ingredients but you can use normal oats and wholewheat flour if you don’t need to avoid gluten.
Gorgeous Gluten-free Granola – Ingredient List
coconut oil, lemons, muscovado sugar, honey, gluten-free oats, gluten-free plain flour, desiccated coconut, sesame seeds, whole hazelnuts, toasted chunks of hazelnut, almond slices, pumpkin seeds
Gorgeous Gluten-free Granola – The Process (makes 2 baking trays worth!)
- Preheat your oven to 110º C (fan)
- Prep two baking trays with greaseproof paper
- Prep your coating in a thick based pan by adding:
- 5 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2Tbsp muscovado sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Heat these up gently to melt the sugar into the mix then take off heat.
- Mix all your dry ingredients in a separate bowl:
- 4 Tbsp gluten-free flour
- 2 C gluten-free oats
- ½ C desiccated coconut
- ¼ C sesame seeds
- ½ C whole hazel nuts
- ¼ C chopped and roasted hazelnuts
- ¼ C sliced almonds
- ½ C pumpkin seeds
- Pour the dry ingredients into the liquid coating.
- Mix it up good and proper, so it’s all coated.
- Dump onto baking trays in equal measures
- Spread out
- Pop into the oven
- After 30 mins turn everything over so that other parts of your granola can bake!
- Don’t let it burn!!
- Allow to cool on baking trays (try not to gobble too much up – I find it pretty har to resist!)
- Using the greaseproof sheets pour into your Gorgeous Gluten-Free Granola container
Eat – How do you like yours? I love mine with the yummy stewed apple I have in my fridge :-).
And of course be proud of yourself for creating your own incredibly healthy gorgeous granola. Let me know your preferred variation on a theme! I am planning to play with lovely flaxseeds and chia seeds next time 🙂 and of course I’ll share any good ones with you.