On Saturday I concocted apple & oat scotch pancakes in response to a request from a friend. As I was making them up I thought they would work really well as a gluten-free pancake; so last night we had another little play and I am happy to say they were scrummy, yummy, delicious and I want them for my breakfast every day! Aars had six for brekkie before school this morning – a warming, happy start to the day.
#AVeganHoliday perfect brekkie me thinks!
Gluten-free Apple & Oat Scotch Pancakes – Ingredients
Gluten-free oats, pureed apple, sunflower oil, gluten-free self-raising flour, cinnamon, golden granulated sugar, milk alternative of your choice (we used oat milk), gluten-free baking powder, bicarbonate of soda
Gluten-free Apple & Oat Scotch Pancakes – Process (makes about 20)
- In a big bowl add:
- ½ C sunflower oil
- 420 ml apple puree
- 1 C oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbs golden granulated sugar
- 1 C gluten-free self raising flour
- 1 C milk alternative of choice (we used oat milk)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Mix it all up with a spoon (it will look lumpy)
- Get your griddle, or stone pan on a low flame (they cook best slowly)
- Once it’s hot pour some sunflower oil into the pan, spread about…
- Drop ladles of your batter into the pan (not too big or they are tricky to flip)
- When the batter starts to change colour on top flip the drop scone over (see photo)
- The second side cooks in about half the time of the first
- Get off the heat and onto a cooling rack or onto a lucky bods waiting plate!
These are AMAZING straight from the pan, build a little stack with a tiny bit of spread between each pancake, then pour on some maple syrup and enjoy! These are one of the best results of “playing-with-food” we have had this month.
Aars loves his unadulterated so he gets all the apple and cinnamon flavour straight from the pan. They are also great if allowed to cool, and then eaten with some spread on.
The mix lasts; we had an excess of mix last night so poured the batter into a jar, popped the lid on and bunged in the fridge. This morning more apple & oat scotch pancakes for Aars – I didn’t get a look in but he said they were even better than the night before!