Growing up we had a few traditions like pancakes for breakfast every Saturday; Sunday evenings were my favourite as I used make masses of “eggy bread” or french toast for me and my sister. We would smother the yummy slices with cinnamon and sugar, soooooooo good.
This is my egg-free, dairy-free version which my son loves. He goes through phases with food and hadn’t had french toast for a while – when he was two and three it was a staple! This weekend my partner bought some white bread which rarely makes it across the threshold causing a french toast revival. I have not tried it with gluten-free bread as it tends to have egg in which is a no-no for Aars, but the mix is gluten-free so it should work for coeliac sufferers with their preferred bread.
French Toast – Ingredients
corn flour, milk alternative, cinnamon, vanilla extract, oil, white bread, toppings of choice
French Toast – Process
- In your mixing bowl add:
- 1 C milk alternative
- ½ C cornflour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk until a nice thin light batter is created
- Pour into a large flat container (I use a large tuperware box as I keep leftovers in the fridge for the next day)
- Pop some vegetable oil in a frying pan on a medium wide heat
- When the pan and oil are hot place once side of a slice of bread into the light batter, then turn and cover the second side with batter
- Place into the hot pan and allow the bread to fry until it’s a nice golden brown
- Flip and let the second side fry
- Pop onto a place and cover in cinnamon and cinnamon sugar or if you want to stay away from refined sugar drizzle some honey or maple syrup over the top.