It’s the weekend – YAY! At some stage there will be time & space for chilling out and watching a film whilst munching on a popcorn treat. This is the most frequently requested popcorn by my son which makes me very happy too, as I love, love, love it. It’s not too spicy as I make for a child’s palette, if you want to ramp up the heat just increase the amount of cayenne pepper you add to the mix.
A couple of weekends ago we were lucky enough to pop into Taste Of London where we came across JoeSephs gourmet popcorn with all his wild flavours and combinations – it was pretty inspiring so I shall see if I can tempt Aars away from his favoured flavours towards some more adventurous ones in the coming weeks. In the meantime this one is tried and tested and just perfect for a sunny day like today.
Sweet Chilli PoPcoRn – Ingredient List
Popped corn! water, muscovado sugar, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, sunflower spread
Sweet Chilli PoPcoRn – Process
- Pop your popcorn (I do about 90g of white cat corn kernels)
- In a heavy based pan add the following:
- 50g muscovado sugar
- 25ml water
- Warm until the sugar dissolves
- Then allow to simmer on a low heat and reduce for about 15 mins DO NOT STIR AT ALL whilst it bubbles away!
- When it reaches a point where the whole pan is bubbling (see my photo for a clue) take off heat and stir in:
- 10g sunflower spread
- pinch ground cayenne pepper (if this is for grown ups who like a chilli kick add more!)
- pinch smoked paprika
- ½ tsp flaked salt (I use pink Himalayan)
- Once fully dissolved and combined pour over your waiting popcorn – I do it in sections to ensure every piece is covered
- Dump the coated popcorn onto a sheet of baking paper and spread out so it can cool completely.
- Once cooled – film night can proceed!