These are a twist on our very yummy and oft requested apple and oat scotch pancakes. They are a bit more healthy for you as there is no oil in the mix at all. They do however contain nuts as they’re a great source of healthy fats for Aars. I have them pocketed away with cinnamon and sugar in the centre of the hugely fat puffed up little pancakes!
These make a beautiful brunch on a lazy, rainy day (like today) in the school hols. Your children can play with ideas for the surprise mix in the middle. I was pleasantly surprised by how the nuts kind of merged with the pancake so they were not too crunchy or obvious – just giving their delicious, mellow nutty flavour.
Puffed-Up Pancakes With A Baklava Twist! – Ingredients
gluten-free oats, gluten-free self-raising flour, cinnamon, golden granulated sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, milk alternative of your choice (we used almond milk), pureed apple, chopped roasted hazelnuts
Puffed-Up Pancakes With A Baklava Twist! – Process (makes about 12)
- In a big bowl add:
- 1 C gluten-free oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbs golden granulated sugar
- 1 C gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 C milk alternative (we used almond milk)
- 1 C apple puree
- Mix it all up with a spoon (will look lumpy)
- Create your baklava middle I used:
- 2 Tbsp roast chopped hazelnuts
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- Get your griddle, or stone pan on a low flame (they cook best slowly)
- Once it’s hot melt some spread in it
- Use a tablespoon to drop the batter into the pan (to create little pancakes)
- Sprinkle some of your baklava mix on top
- Cover the baklava mix with a little more pancake mix
- When the batter starts to change colour up the sides flip the pancakes
- The second side cooks in about half the time of the first
- Get off the heat and onto a lucky bods waiting plate!
This morning they were all gobbled up hot from the pan – Aars loves his unadulterated so he gets all the apple and cinnamon flavour, they are also yummy with maple syrup and some spread to melt… Let me know if you create awesome variations on this theme.