These are a savoury muffin – really tasty and good for you – win win! I think that they could be readily converted into sweet muffins, as both parsnip and sweetcorn are naturally pretty sweet. So After France I may be giving them a go as a sweet hidden veg cupcake treat! 😛
I tried using nutritional yeast in place of my diluted marmite mix. It didn’t give the same cheesy flavour as the marmite does so I will be returning to marmite in my savoury scones. Please don’t be put off by the marmite, in the muffins the flavour is converted into a yummy dairy-free cheese flavour! My partner HATES marmite and was pretty surprised to learn that all the savoury muffins he’s been enjoying had a dollop of marmite in them!
The recipe is gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, soya-free, nut-free… and the result: tasty tasty tasty!
Parsnip & Sweetcorn Muffins – Ingredients
gluten-free oats, ground black pepper, ground cayenne pepper, m!lk alternative (I used KoKo a thin coconut m!lk), nutritional yeast, fresh thyme, sweet corn, parsnip, oil (I used sunflower), cider vinegar, polenta, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda
As Corny As Corn Muffins Can Be – Process (made me 20 big boys)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan)
- Prep your muffin trays with muffin cases
- In a bowl add:
- 1 C gluten-free oats
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2½ C m!lk alternative (I used koko a thin coconut m!lk)
- 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
- a good sprinkling of fresh thyme
- Mix them up and then leave the oats to soak.
- Liquidise the following:
- 300g of sweetcorn (I used one large can)
- Once the sweetcorn is well blitzed add to the oats along with:
- 200g grated parsnip (I used a coarse grater)
- ¹/3 C oil (I use sunflower oil)
- 1 Tbs cidre vinegar
- In a new bowl combine:
- 1 C polenta
- 1½ C gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Stir this into the bowl with the oats and other ingredients
- Once it is pretty much combined dollop into the waiting muffin cases
- Pop into your oven for 30 minutes
- When they come out of the oven leave in the tray for the first 5 minutes then place on a cooling rack or onto your waiting plate 🙂
- Share, eat and enjoy!