This time of year we oft’ find ourselves devouring more than usual, not only do we eat more but the foods are richer than normal. Sometimes our bodies need a break from the decadence – craving something fresh and healthy… well mine does anyway 😉
This soup is all of those things – light, tastes yummy and revitalises me somehow via its simplicity. If you want something a little naughty to compliment it – tahini works well or my vegan chunky cheese straws go really well – I will post them on the morrow for those of you who want to indulge. In our home Aars eats the cheese straws avoiding the soup, and I get the soup and not the richer pastry! Win win me thinks.
Fresh Tomato Soup – Ingredients
Tomatoes (I used a mix), red pepper, garlic cloves, olive oil, black pepper, muscovado sugar
Fresh Tomato Soup – Process
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC
- Onto a baking tray bung:
- 350g (ish) of tomatoes (I used a mix of pomodorino and vittoria as they were what I had on my windowsill!)
- One red pepper halved
- Two garlic cloves – pop one in each half of the red pepper
- ½ tsp muscovado sugar in each half of the red pepper
- Over the lot:
- drizzle olive oil
- grind a load of black pepper
- Pop into the oven for 20-25 mins (depends on the size of tomatoes you use)
- When the tomatoes and red pepper are cooked get them out of the oven
- Into a liquidiser add:
- all of your cooked veg (if you’re not too keen on garlic don’t add to the mix – I just keep one)
- make sure you get all the yummy juices!
- Whizz it up – really blitz it throughly
- Serve through a strainer (this is vital!)
- I drizzle some basil pesto (just fresh basil leaves and olive oil blitzed) over the top and a little tahini too… it’s gooooooood!
This post is part of #aveganholiday – a collaboration among vegan and veg-friendly bloggers. Follow along on social media with #AVeganHoliday. Want to learn more or become a contributor? Find out more here or here.