This smoothie is delicious, like a ray of cheery sunshine in liquid form! Yummy tropical mango, a bit of a zinging lime to perk you up, and some deep warmth from the ginger root. Not only does this smoothie taste great, it is really good for your bod too! We parents who have the constant stress of living with anaphylaxis, the daily anxiety we feel for our children – we need to give our immune systems and our bodies a boost. This does the trick, so treat yourself, give yourself a little break as you sip this tropical delight and slow down, regain perspective and be assured that the universe is with you as you try and protect your children day-to-day.
Feel Better (whatever-the-weather) Smoothie – Ingredients
mango, ginger root, lime, blueberries, m!lk alternative, ice
Feel Better (whatever-the-weather) Smoothie – Process (makes a pint)
- Into your liquidiser place:
- One peeled and stoned mango
- 3 cm³ ginger root peeled and chopped
- ¼ of a lime (juice only)
- handful of blueberries
- 200 ml m!lk alternative
- handful of ice
- Blitz ’til everything is smooth and well mixed
- Pour into your glass of choice and enjoy sipping that smoothie down
If you have a sore throat add ½ tsp of cinnamon as its a natural antiseptic.
Adapt it to suit your taste buds and nutritional needs. If you want to make it sweeter you can add a banana or a squeeze of honey. If you want a slightly more earthy taste add a dollop of almond paste or peanut butter.
Once again I stress that I am not a nutritional expert – you can do your own research regarding the benefits of these ingredients but I will share what I do know with you:
- Mango: full of vitamin C and carotenes to boost the immune system, vitamin A to promote healthy hair and skin, B6, K – which helps the body absorb calcium and aid bone strength/density there are many other claims about mangos! Basically they are great for your digestive system, your eyes, your memory and concentration, your bones, your hair, your skin… your whole bod.
- Ginger root: a mental stimulant, aids digestion, fights off nausea, it’s an anti-inflammatory, has anti-bacterial properties and is über tasty to boot.
- Lime: full of vitamin C, aids digestion…
- Blueberries: known as a super food they are full of antioxidants, rammed full of vitamin C, boost brain function and all round very healthy little berries.
- Live bio-yogurt: full of friendly bacteria to help your intestinal tract and boost your immune system.