Almond btter (a.k.a almond butter); I have an aversion the word ‘butter’ as it infers dairy, so have replaced the ‘u’ with an *. I like to think that the stands for an ‘e’ to read almond better, but you can read almond butter if you prefer! Anyhoooo making said almond b*tter is an exercise in patience, however the reward is GREAT!
Those of you who live in the States and Europe can probably buy almond btter, so this is for my friends further afield on this little globe, as I love using almond btter in my smoothies, brownies and various other treats. I thought I would give you the heads up on how to make your own so you can enjoy the delights! Even if you can buy it, making it yourself is still really gratifying 😉
D.I.Y Almond b*tter (a.k.a Almond Butter) – Ingredients
almonds – that is all! (in truth you also need a food processor and patience!!)
D.I.Y Almond b*tter (a.k.a Almond Butter) – Process
- If you have a food processor with a metal S blade use it! I have tried making this in various machines and this one worked best, unless you are making a tiny amount then you can use the liquidiser or spice grinder! Anyhoooo… it takes in total about 30 minutes to make and is a little bit of a magical process!
- Dump into your food processor:
- 3 cups of almonds
- Turn on – and the process begins, every few minutes you will need to scrap the sides of your magi mix down. Then you will need to start scraping the base of the container as well as the sides.
- This goes on for quite a long time – maybe 20 minutes when suddenly the oils of the almond are released and the mix starts to get wetter and build up a sheen. I continue to mix mine for ten minutes after the oils have begun to be released to get a lovely smooth shiny mix!
- Once the almond b*tter is as you like it pop it into a jar and a leave to cool.
- Once it has cooled you need to store it in the fridge.
- Enjoy your amazing almond b*tter you have made yourself!